Friday, January 25, 2008

A Real Job & more 2007 knitting

I just found out today that I have had a real job since Monday. I've been working for a temp agency for over a year and just before Christmas they asked if I would be interested in moving over to their full time division. Hmmm, let me see......

Real Health Insurance vs. very crappy coverage

Paid Holidays and Vacation vs. no work = no pay

Between assignments get paid for a 37.5 hour week vs. see above

401(k) plan vs. what?

Did I say yes? It took a bit of time due to the holidays and the fact that they had to find out if I really had done the things I said I had. I went in today to show them my driver's license and Social Security card (the one I have had since I registered for Social Security in about 1961) and to sign all the paperwork to become an actual participant in the amazing world of benefits. I am 62 years old and this is only the second job I have ever had with real benefits. And I will still be a temp, doing what I like, which is relatively short term projects in a different place every few months. In fact, I did exactly the same thing this week in my real job as I did last week in my temp job (because it is the same job) and will stay there until April 15.


When I saw the pattern for these socks on MagKnits, I knew just who should have them.


Mimi! She had a very busy and stressful Fall so it took some time after I finished them to get them to her. Finally I ran into her one day at the Post Office and made her wait until I went to my car and got them. I had been carrying them around with me for weeks hoping I would see her. Right before Christmas she came into The Yarn Lounge wearing them and looking her usual fabulous self so I was able to get some pictures of the socks on her feet in some of her amazingly high heeled shoes.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

The socks are just adorable, especially with those shoes!

Congratulations on the job!

I never, EVER would have guessed you were 62. You look at least 20 years younger! Perhaps never having a full-time job with benefits is the secret to looking younger???

5:42 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Congrats on the job and I am with Mary neither Tom or I would have ever thought you were 62 I knew you said you were older then me but i figured a year or two. When I told Tom you got a full time job with benefits he said there is hope for me yet -- of course you have to look to find one!!!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! Big Huge Congratulations...that really must take a load off of your mind! and those sox are feakin adorable!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

Congrats Cate on all those fab benies for your permanent job!

Those socks are amazing and apparently found the right home. ;-}

11:06 AM  
Blogger Ida said...

I love these socks!

10:41 PM  
Blogger kasiaiscarly said...

Congrats on the job!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the ruffles at the top of the socks! And the purple! So beautiful.

8:13 PM  
Blogger smariek said...

Congrats on the job!!! I'd say the best thing is the "doing what you like" part.

Holy crap! You're 62?! You look great. What's your secret?

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home