Friday, April 13, 2007

Songs, Socks & a Shawl

Songs
1. God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind) - Randy Newman
2. How's It Gonna End - Tom Waits
3. Still I Long for Your Kiss (Alternate Version) - Lucinda Williams
4. Un Mundo Raro - Chavela Vargas
5. Red Clay Halo - Gillian Welch
6. Still a Fool - Muddy Waters
7. Louisiana 1927 - Randy Newman
8. Ain't That Lovin' You Baby - Jimmy Reed
9. Diamonds & Rust - Joan Baez
10. Wedding Song - Maria Muldaur

Socks

Smoking Hot Socks (Although I think these look more like Blazing Hot Socks). A free pattern by Monika Steinbauer.
Knit using Fleece Artist 100% washable merino wool in the Tiger colorway on size 1 dpns. Just about my favorite yarn for knitting socks.


Modifications: (Accidental) bottoms of heels knit in reverse stockinette. (Deliberate) ribbing on leg is K3, P3 instead of K2, P2 so it will align with the mitered squares.


I was worried that the legs might not fit but they did.

Shawl

I am trying again with lace and have begun the Swallowtail Shawl by Evelyn Clark in the Fall 2006 Interweave Knits. So far I have spent as much time frogging as knitting. Melanie (the angel of The Yarn Lounge) & I are having a mini KAL. We may have inspired Stewart to try as well. The yarn was a gift from Kate M., purchased at Artfibers in San Francisco.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cate,

Your socks turned out great!!! they look like they fit well too. I'm anxious to see how the shawl turns out.

Libby

10:53 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

The socks are great! I really like the way they break up the variegated yarn. I love my Swallowtail Shawl. Stick with it as it's a perfect small size, just a little warmth on your neck and shoulders without getting in the way. Knit the YO's for the nupps veeerrry looooose or the P5tog's will drive you crazy. Those nupps are fiddly but worth it. If you want to make it bigger, email me and I'll send you my friend's notes who has knit three of them.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Love those socks!! Don't feel so bad about the shawl, I frogged it 3 times...I still haven't re-started it.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

The SHS turned out great! Lovely colorway too. ;o)

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cys,
Ooooooh, major case of sock lust here! Now I know what I want for my birthday...

lolak,
cys

8:30 AM  
Blogger CatBookMom said...

Lovely! I am so impressed that you not only managed the mitered squares but that you did them in sock yarn!!

9:40 AM  
Blogger lemmie said...

go kate!
i also have some yarn from art fibers that I haven't used yet. let me know how it knits up!

10:28 AM  
Blogger LisaW. said...

Yay cate! grrrrreeeatt sox woman...lovelovelove them. Are the miters very elastic/forgiving or are they pretty stiff? enquiring sockknitters interested in all things modular want to know! good luck on the swallowtail...back on the elann.com chatsite there's lots of extra info/help for when you get to nuppville. i'll enjoy your swallowtail saga vicariously as i do my stoopid boring wren.

12:35 PM  
Blogger jayne said...

The socks are super funky, I love them!!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home