Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sock Progress


Amazing how much progress I can make in a day when I am not working. I am not a particularly fast knitter but I spend quite a bit of time knitting when I should be doing other things. I really enjoy the Fleece Artist merino sock yarn. It has just the right amount of twist and the dye jobs are all very beautiful.

Thanks for all the comments on my sock surgery. Suzann, thanks for the reminder about knitting a few rows of ribbing when starting a picot edge. I had never tried one until the two pairs of socks following the pattern in Jo Sharp's Knit 1. Knitting the hem seemed so satisfyingly clever but next time I will wait, wash the socks & then sew the hem. Robin, the yarn I used was Jo Sharp's Silk Georgette. I know the care instructions say to hand wash but I would never wear my socks if I had to hand wash them. I put them all in the washer on cold & then hang them to dry. They do just fine.

I recently re-read The Knitter's Almanac just because Elizabeth Zimmermann is so inspiring in her attitude towards knitting. She gives me courage to experiment and try new things.


Many thanks to Debbie who told me about this album. Rosalie Sorrels sings one of the songs. I heard her perform in about 1971 at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs, New York. I was shocked to discover she does not have a Wikipedia entry. She sang with and influenced many folk singers.

Speaking of singers, I watched The Last Waltz, the film of The Band's last concert. Even though Martin Scorcese directed it, I was disappointed in it as a film. Perhaps if I had seen it when it first came out - 1978 - it would have seemed more exciting. I did enjoy the music, especially Muddy Waters.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cate,

How ingenious of you for the sock fix!!! I would have never thought of it.

Libby

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way your green sock is coming along - what a happy colorway! I did see The Last Waltz when it came out, and again just a few years ago. Music I love, people I enjoy hearing...I still like Robbie Robertson to this day.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great sock! I get a real kick out of your socks (ducking.) ;-}

Muddy Waters is the MAN. John Lee Hooker is another one of my faves. Loved The Band, got all their old stuff on vinyl and wore out several LP's and had to replace them. Ah, those were the days of good music.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Well, sounds like you're going to have to write that Wikipedia entry yourself -- that's the beauty of Wikipedia!

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home