Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sock Surgery


This picot edge shrank in the wash just enough to make it very difficult to get over my heel.


I couldn't take it out and resew it more loosely because the hem was knitted together as I made it.


Inspired by Elizabeth Zimmermann, I fearlessly attacked my sock.


I cut the yarn and began to unknit.


Without much difficulty, I had enough yarn to remake the top.


Using EZ's Casting On, Casting Off method from the back of Knitter's Almanac, I finished off the edge. (This is the most accurate picture of the sock's color.)


It was very tidy & neat.


Now I have some simple roll top socks.


Since I am not working yet, I made good progress on the Retro Rib Socks. For those of you who don't like to purl, you might want to skip this pattern. It actually has more purling than knitting.

7 Comments:

Blogger LisaW. said...

wow...i need that book for a number of reasons...but if there's a simple sock surgery...well i'm all over that with my big honkin hooves!...and hey, i love purling so those are the socks for me :)

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cate, I'm impressed! Scissors and finished knitting in the same sentence give me the shudders. In the spirit of EZ, you are the boss of your knitting. ;-}

11:28 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

I was so scared when I saw those scissors! (shudder)

12:49 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Your sock surgery is most impressive! What is that yarn? It looks heavenly! (But a difficult color to photograph, apparently -- it's different in every picture!)

Anyway, you (and EZ) are my inspiration if I ever need to fix a handknit!

1:11 PM  
Blogger junior_goddess said...

Whew. I need to sit down and have a drink now!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Suzann said...

This is the reason I sew my picot edges down rather then knit them in. It can be a tight edging. Adding ribbing to the back of the edge makes it more comfortable. After the socks are done and washed, I sew down the picot edge. I catch every other stitch. I find that works better for me. Hey Wendy Johnson doesn't knit her edging in either. Of course she is going toe up.
Scissors to my knitting nooooooooo You did a great job there.
You probably already know you can do 1x1 ribbing on the back side of the picot edging. And continue the 1x1 for a few rows. Also makes a more flexible top

5:24 PM  
Blogger Suzann said...

I seem to be repeating myself. Chalk it up to old age :-}

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home