Thursday, April 05, 2007

Miters & Movies


This is why I began these socks! To get to the mitered squares. Wendy Johnson has started a garment made of small mitered squares of sock yarn. It is very painterly. And January One is working obsessively on mitered squares for a coverlet. Very Op art-ish.
The quilterly part of my brain sees all sorts of possibilities.


I fear the socks are not going to be stretchy enough to fit my sturdy leg. I have decided not to try them on until the second one is finished. That way I won't end up with just one sock.


The yarn arrived for my next sweater. Cotton Fleece from Brown Sheep. It is 80% cotton & 20% merino wool in the Emperor's Robe color. Even though the instructions say to hand wash, I took the chance and tossed my gauge swatch into the washing machine on cold. It turned out just fine and I plan to machine wash my finished sweater. I won't put it in the dryer though. It will be a very simple top down v-neck cardigan from Knitting Pure & Simple. I had a moment of wondering if it will look as if I just bought a sweater from J. Crew. Quickly shoved the thought aside and reminded myself that the sweater will fit me and have nice subtle details. Certainly better buttons than any from a catalog.

Movies watched recently -
I did not like Gangs of New York. Too violent, too long and too smug. It was so highly choreographed I kept expecting the gangs to break into song and dance routines - an 1860s West Side Story. Maybe Martin Scorcese is too much of a guy type director for me. I did truly enjoy the series about The Blues that he produced for Public Television.
In The Name of the Father directed by Jim Sheridan was better. I was caught up in the story of the innocent Gerry Conlan & his father sent to prison for many years for as IRA terrorists. I am a sucker for injustice.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I liked In the Name of the Father too! DD Lewis did a brilliant Northern Ireland accent. I skipped Gangs of New York--glad I did now.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Sangeeta said...

I didn't like Gangs either, and perhaps a song and dance number would have improved the horrible screenplay....I spent most of my time wanting to scream at Daniel Day Lewis' character every time he referred to the "immigrants." Give me a break, *sshole...how do you think your white ancestors got to NYC in the first place?!?!

Pardon my rant.

Excellent color choice...you're becoming quite daring. I'll be curious to hear how you like your cotton fleece...
Sang.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

1) Mitered socks are so pretty. They teach a class on that at Carodan Farm during SoXperience. I have pictures of them from last year, on this post: http://tinyurl.com/34769n

2) I have that same Knitting Pure & Simple pattern, (plus a few more)! For, now, I will live vicariously through you, and see what you think of it.

3) Thanks for the Gangs of New York review. I've not seen it, because I suspected it was just as you said -- too violent. I'm not a big Leonardo fan, anyway, (although he was outstanding years ago in "Gilbert Grape").

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love those socks! Wild! I have a hankering to do some mitered "something".
I haven't knit with the cotton fleece but have seen it knit. I do not like knitting with cotton but love to wear it. How would you rate it as far as cotton yarn goes. Does the bit of wool change it at all?
Les

8:15 PM  
Blogger knitfriendly said...

Your socks are looking great! I think that your sweater is going to turn out very pretty. I love the color that you choose.

10:43 AM  
Blogger jayne said...

Those socks are fun fun fun. Now I can see why you were hanging in for the leg. And here I continue to knit the plainest possible socks. I'll live vicariously through yours.

I never saw Gangs, sounded way too violent. I did enjoy In the Name of the Father though. I've seen Martin Scorsese's most recent The Departed, and thought all performances were outstanding, especially Leo's. It's violent but intriguing. AND Leo was excellent in Blood Diamond, also totally worth seeing. He has really come along as an actor. I thought he was good in The Aviator too.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home