Saturday, June 30, 2007

Knitting without electricity


I was going to take a picture of my Mystery Stole 3 after Chart A and post it last night. Instead, we had an intense thunderstorm and the power went out. Usually the outage is fairly brief and the only thing to do is wait a few minutes before the lights flicker and come back on. Last night I lit a candle and wondered how on earth any fancy knitting got done after dark in days gone by. It was only about 8:00 pm, way too early for bed, and my knitting neurons were twitching. I dug out my very bright camping lantern, put it on the table, and had just enough light to continue with Chart B of Clue 1. I kept going until after 10:00 when I finally felt sleepy enough to go to bed. The power finally came back on at 2:30 am. How do I know? My alarm system horn was going off and wouldn't let me sleep! I hope it didn't wake the neighbors. After some knitting this morning, I am about 1/3 through Chart B. It is an enjoyable project so far. The Malabrigo Lace Weight is a dream to handle and stands up well to tinking.


As soon as Clue 1 for MS3 was available, all knitting on the Horcrux socks halted. Because they are so very dark, they are almost impossible to photograph well. You may just be able to see the little light flecks which are actually subtle sparkles. Laura, from Sunday Yarn Church, saw the socks and said they reminded her of the dining room ceiling at Hogwarts. And she didn't even know I was knitting Horcrux socks! Speaking of HP, I splurged and ordered the audio version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows from Amazon, even paying for delivery. The plan: wear my Horcrux socks while I knit the latest MS3 clue and listen to Jim Dale read.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger PurlingPirate said...

I haven't even picked out yarn yet for the mystery stole! I love the way yours looks, I better get on the ball!!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Your mystery stole is going to be beautiful!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

i printed the directions, I have the yarn Zephyr Merino in black but haven't started it yet, working on my own mystery and its being bound off tonight!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Your stole has a beautiful beginning. And I love the socks! They are next on my list of knitting.

7:04 PM  
Blogger knitfriendly said...

I am impressed how the Malabrigo laceweight is knitting up. Beautiful! I am using Zephyr in the blueberry colorway. :)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

Cate, which laceweight are you using, the wool or the merino? Trying to determine if there is a difference.
I did lots of knitting by lantern when we lost electricity for a week last April. It took me back a few generations. ;-}
The HP audio plan sounds like a good one! I am nearly done with Horcrux sock 2 which I am mailing to my niece so she can wear them when she goes to buy her book on the 11th.

10:21 AM  
Blogger benne said...

Cate, your shawl beginning is gorgeous. I can just imagine how wonderful it feels in the Malabrigo.
Thanks to your help, I cast on my Horcrux sock. Looks like I may not make the 11th, but that's okay. I'll wear them when I read the new book the second time. ;-}

10:21 AM  
Blogger Ghislaine said...

Great start on your mystery stole!
I will probably just collect the clues and knit the stole later on.

It will be probably be too hot to wear my Horcrux socks while reading - although I suppose I could prop my feet up on an ice pack!

I have a "thing" for Stephen Fry - so I own the UK audio versions of the HP books. I have splurged and ordered book 7 to complete my collection, but I will not be waiting for it to arrive ... I'll be lined up at midnight and there will be no sleeping or knitting until I am done reading.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Gryffinitter said...

We have all the HP's in Audio, and it is only with a great deal of looking at how impossible it will actually be that I decided not to go to the store in Manhattan which will have him there for the launch... If not for him, we would never have Pottered...sob...

T

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home