Monday, June 04, 2007

Movie Time


First Greenfingers, one of those cute movies that is easy to watch and easy to forget. It stars the very hunky Clive Owen who would have made a convincing Bond if he had been selected instead of Daniel Craig. Loosely based on a true story, a bunch of hardened criminals become master gardeners, coached by Helen Mirren's character. A romantic comedy for those times when you want some brain candy. Oh, and watch for the Irish Wolfhound.


I had never seen the 1980 BBC mini series version of Pride and Prejudice until last week. The script was written by Fay Weldon and was more faithful to the novel than the more recent versions. This is not to say that I preferred it, it was a bit too slow and understated. David Rintoul, who played Mr. Darcy, was much too stiff and expressionless, even for a shy and very proper Regency gentleman. Elizabeth Garvie's Eliza Bennet was much better, perhaps even preferable to Jennifer Ehle or Keira Knightly. She was young, pretty and intelligent. There was less comedy and more wit in this version.


Now I am waiting for the second disc of the 1983 BBC mini series of Mansfield Park. Fanny Price is my least favorite Austen heroine. I tend to find her timidity annoying. Fortunately, this version, while quite faithful to the book, does not focus on this aspect of her personality.


Filch's cat, Mrs. Norris, was named by J.K. Rowling after Fanny's dreadful aunt.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I always wonder where JK Rowling gets her names! I know some are made up completely, but Mrs. Norris! that's funny.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

Now you leave my Jennifer Ehle alone! The Lizzie gold standard, to me.

I saw Greenfingers ages ago, I believe I rented it when first released. I completely forgotten about it (proving your point) until now and laugh to think about it. It was great!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Clive gets a double hunky. I have a thing for him and clearly need to see Greenfingers. Like now. LOL. Bri

1:39 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Mmmmmm Clive Owen -- so yummy. I loved Greenfingers. Haven't watched it in a few years -- need to add it back to my Netflix queue.

Nothing beats the A&E Colin Firth version of P&P. I'm going to buy that for myself for my birthday, if no one else does!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home