Saturday, June 16, 2007

Movie Night (plus Feist)

As part of my informal completist project of watching movie versions of novels by Jane Austen I rented Bride and Prejudice by the director of Bend It Like Beckham. This tribute to Bollywood musicals moves the story of Pride and Prejudice to contemporary India. A very funny and enjoyable film, no more unrealistic than most romantic comedies. The clip is from early in the movie at a party celebrating a wedding.


This week has been a good one for movies. I also watched and enjoyed -
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, a very well done documentary about a flock of feral parrots in San Francisco and the man who befriended them.

Songcatcher, a 2000 film set in the mountains of North Carolina in the early 20th Century. It featured wonderful music and musicians with magnificent scenery. The script was nothing very special but the music and mountains made it enjoyable. There were two fleeting moments of knitting content. In one, the main character's sister was knitting what appeared to be a dish cloth with lots of mistakes. In the other, she was holding a skein of yarn while a young girl was winding a ball of wool. Iris Dement, Taj Mahal and Hazel Dickens all performed. Aidan Quinn played the hunky mountain man.

And, last night, I watched Finding Neverland with Johnny Depp and Kate Winslett. An excellent, somewhat true, story of J.M. Barrie's inspiration for the creation of Peter Pan. Well acted and produced.

I have been seeing Feist's name but have not really heard her music until this morning on Morning Edition on NPR. Oooh, I immediately went to iTunes and downloaded her newest CD - The Reminder. Check out her version of the traditional song - Sea Lion Woman. (aka See Lyin' Woman)



I've been contemplating what to do for a summer knitting project (besides socks) and now I think I have it. Mystery Stole 3 begins June 29.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a couple great movie recommendations you have here, thank you for sharing! Especially Songcatcher sounds very interesting - and it even has knitting content! Woah!

1:52 AM  
Blogger Joan said...

Cate I thought about you when I went thru my HBO offerings this AM. Have you seen UK film "Longford" with the amazing Jim Broadbent as real life British Lord Longford and his involvment with a notorious jailed murderdress who he tries to have released. Very thought-provoking.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I loved Songcatcher (Aiden Quinn - yum!) and Finding Neverland. :-)

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home