Friday, April 27, 2007

Music, movies, a book and........OH NO!


Junior Brown - My Wife Thinks You're Dead

Friday iPod Shuffle. Tell me about yours.

1. A Little Blues - The Be Good Tanyas
2. It's Tight Like That - Georgia Tom
3. So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad) - John Prine
4. Yanzi (Swallow Song) - Yo Yo Ma
5. Creeps Like Me - Lyle Lovett
6. Five Finnish Folk Songs - Yo Yo Ma
7. Hillbilly Hula Gal - Junior Brown
8. Reason to Cry - Lucinda Williams
9. Kingfish - Randy Newman
10. Young Blood - Rickie Lee Jones

Rogue, the Deerhound with his own blog, told me about a website devoted to covers of Bob Dylan songs. I should have known such a site existed.

Movies to see:
Rabbit Proof Fence, an Australian film based on the true story of 3 part Aboriginal girls. They were taken from their mothers and sent to a boarding school, escaped, and walked 1200 miles through the outback to get home. Well acted, beautiful photography, moving story.

Sisters, a very early (1973) Brian De Palma film. I wanted to see it because one of the leads, Jennifer Salt, was a student at Sarah Lawrence when I was. As was De Palma but I didn't know him. The movie had way too much scenery chewing to be scary and I surprised myself by enjoying it. Charles Durning had a part in it too and I do like him.

One of my favorite bloggers, Crazy Aunt Purl has a book coming out called Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair. It will be published in October and, if it is one tenth as funny and sweet as her blog, it should be a huge hit. How could it miss with a title like that?


OH NO! This is how close I got to finishing the Swallowtail Shawl before I ran out of yarn. Rather than ordering one ball from the only place in the world where it is available, I tinked back and eliminated the row before the bindoff so I would have enough yarn to finish. I hope to block tomorrow so should have FO pictures Sunday or Monday.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger CatBookMom said...

The shawl is lovely, and I totally understand not ordering another skein for a few yards. I am looking forward to CAP's new book, too. I met her shortly after the 'burning bus' incident and blog post got her a lot of interest, and she is indeed as much of a hoot as she seems on her blog. That was a long time ago, and I'm glad she has done the book and has gotten more peace in her life.

11:28 PM  
Blogger LisaW. said...

I said OH DEAR very outloud when I saw your Swallowtail...such a course you've gone with her! And Rogue's blog...that is a hoot.Thanks for the link. I'll post my ipod friday tonite :) have a great weekend.

12:00 AM  
Blogger smariek said...

Ooobie as little M would say (her version of "oopsie"). The shawl looks nice, I'm looking forward to seeing more photos after it is blocked.

12:34 PM  
Blogger erin said...

I LOVE JUNIOR BROWN!!!!!!! i look forward to seeing the swallowtail in full glory.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The swallowtail is a great color, and I'm sure you tweked it just right. bri

8:37 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I've seen Rabbit Proof Fence, and loved it and cried watching it. Wonderfully made. It amazes me that they were still doing that up until the 80's.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home