Sunday, January 07, 2007

First FOs of 2007


The charcoal blob was finished on New Year's Day. It is just what I planned - a classic cardigan. But is not exactly flattering it needs a bright scarf or dramatic brooch. Oh well, I still enjoy wearing it. It is the Knitting Pure & Simple top down cardigan, knit with Lamb's Pride Worsted in dark charcoal. As usual, I had to go down two needle sizes to get gauge.


These socks flew. Nothing like using 3s to get some fast socks. They were knit using Interlacements' Toasty Toes yarn and the free pattern that came with the yarn. I prefer wearing finer knit socks but sometimes speed can be very gratifying.

My iPod nano is just the best. I finished A Large Cat by Elizabeth Peters yesterday. It is one of the Amelia Peabody Egyptian mysteries. Amusing as usual.

In my quest to avoid bad television I have been watching more movies - Good Night & Good Luck has been my favorite so far. Also watched Persuasion with Amanda Root. Iron Jawed Angels because it was filmed in Richmond (the wonderful hats were by local milliners Ignatius Creegan & Rod Givens). And Kiss Kiss Bang Bang because it starred Robert Downey Jr. Tonight I plan to watch Boys Don't Cry if I can stand feeling sad. Edited to add: I didn't watch Boys Don't Cry. I sent it back to Netflix instead.

11 Comments:

Blogger CatBookMom said...

Classic charcoal grey, and it fits you perfectly! Now all you need is a scarf to jazz it up. Something in black/white/grey or red/grey, whatever, with a soupcon of grey and a pick-me-up color. Maybe peach or coral?

9:04 PM  
Blogger LisaW. said...

I don't necessarily think "not flattering" when I see the picture, I do think it could do with a nice bright accessory scarf to perk it up though! I just finished reading "Water for Elephants" and it was Wonderful...and I watched Snakes on a Plane the other night and it was totally over the top! I couldn't stop laughing! Have a good week.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have gotten so I love wearing gray. The grayer my hair gets, the more I love it!! I've never tried a sweater from the top down. It looks like a classic pattern. Nice to start the New Year with a FO! AND, love those socks!! Congrats!

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is quite nice, and while your comment of “not flattering” is severe, the sweater is classic and neutral, which is what a basic cardigan is, right? And L.P. worsted is a comfy,soft, very pleasing medium (I guess yarn can be called a medium, right?). So delete that not flattering thing.
I would love to see you in a non-neutral, beautiful color. Something that complements or contrasts or sparkles with your extraordinary sea-green jewel eyes.
I love Good Night and Good Luck. The other evening I watched "Nelly and Monsieur Arnaud". Tres francais, charmant et un peu erotique. You may like it. Emmanuelle Beart is one of those impossibly,angelically beautiful women. I'm listening to an Amanda Peabody - Crocodile on the River or something like that. It's fun.
Knit on fearlessly.
xoxo

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A scarf, a scarf! Or only button the bottom two buttons so you'll have a V-neck.

Bets

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cate,
I got the parcel you sent me today! Thank you! You are just wonderful person! All the sutuff is just great! The mittens etc. I love the mittens, these are so warm and beautiful.
I uploaded a picture of the parcel in my blog.
Thank you!!!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

I love your sweater, Cate. Charcoal is so darn classic. Like Barb said, it fits perfectly! Howz about a colorful scarf or cool pin (I see a big marcasite initial "C" on your shoulder) to contrast & perk up the ol' skin tones? (I have your coloring too so know of what I speak.)

4:59 PM  
Blogger jayne said...

That sweater looks cozy and warm, and it fits. I agree with everyone else who said nix the "unflattering" comment.

Like the socks --I'm 3/4 done my newest pair. You inspire me on to more socking, Cate.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great pattern for a cardigan, and you look lovely in it! And it IS flattering, too!

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, we all love this Cate! I think it is an excuse to go to the next craft fair, cash in fist, and grab the MOST terrific scarf you can find!

T, who cannot recall in exactly which year she last finished a sweater for herself...

2:09 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Great cardigan, Cate! I'll bet you'll get years of wear out of that. Kudos!

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home