Saturday, December 30, 2006

My new favorite accessory



Thanks to my brother, Craig, I now have a pink iPod Nano. I had no idea I was acquiring a new pet that needed feeding (downloads) and dressing (iPod cozies). At least it fits in my pocket. It is thrilling to have an alternative to bad television (I only get two channels). Amazon had a deal that gave $100 off if you signed up with Audible for a year. Hey, no problem. That was an easy decision.

I am listening to my first Audible book - Pegasus Descending by James Lee Burke. I love his writing and the detective stories about Dave Robicheaux in New Iberia, Louisiana. The reader has such a gentle Southern voice that I am lulled through the violence and moved by the descriptions of the people and landscape.

In my escape from television I have also reactivated my Netflix account and have watched Persuasion in the BBC version, and Good Night, and Good Luck. I don't know what I was expecting of the latter but not the unflinching and brilliant photography.

Also shown in the picture is my charcoal blob. A bit less of a blob now but still not very photogenic. I am on the sleeves and hope to finish on Monday. I probably won't be able to get a picture of me wearing it until next weekend. Funny how work can interfere with knitting and blogging. By then I will have started on the second version of the same sweater - a size smaller and in Cypress Malabrigo. And, of course, back to socks. I'm definitely casting on a pair on New Year's Day.

Edited to add Tell me your favorite knitting podcasts! I want to start listening.

6 Comments:

Blogger CatBookMom said...

I'll be following behind you in learning about the Nano. I just got mine, the 2Gb silver one, set up this morning, at least I hope it's set up. Somehow the fact that I already had iTunes but a previous version (2 upgrades back) made the process intensely frustrating and confusing. This is the first gadget that really has made me feel 'old-fashioned' and tech-ignorant. Did you get the plug-into-the wall thing? Like you, I want audio books more than music.

So, tell all about the accessories and what you're going to do for a case and....

3:45 PM  
Blogger jayne said...

Ha...you two are making me smile. I got an iPod shuffle a few years ago, and all I did was plug it into my computer and away I went. Maybe it helps that I have a mac.

I tend to listen to music mostly, so I can't comment on knitting podcasts, but I love your idea of listening to books on it, Cate. And yes, it is a nice change from TV.

The blob is looking good. I like that brown sheep yarn.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm IPodless. I absolutely LOATHE headsets, and ear buds are worse. But I have Apple stock. Guess that makes it ok.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cate, I love Jamie Lee Burke's writing. I've been reading his books since the seventies, found him by happy accident then. _In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead_ is one of my favorites. Thom gave me an I-pod last year. He's hooked on audible books. If I could just figure out how to work it, I'd be set. ;-} Happy reading and knitting in the New Year.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the IPod world. You'll never be the same. To date, I haven't found a knitting podcast that I like. I stick to "This American Life", berdy things, and football. Charles always tries to find knitting things, so I'll let you know if something of interest is out there.

Happy 2007. Hard to believe that you are already knitting the first pair of socks in the new year. -bri

2:24 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I've not listened to many knitting podcasts, but I did the episode of Lime & Violet and CraftSanity I listened to. Enjoy your new toy!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home