Wednesday, September 20, 2006

First Rant

Today I compromised my integrity and took a drug test. Just for a temp job working a total of 20 hours answering telephones at AAA. Me, ol' moderation Fitt, too scary to trust. I think businesses and the government should keep their noses out of folks' private lives. But I went along with it. I like to think I have some moral high ground but have to wonder now where would I actually draw the line? I didn't go silently to the bathroom with my little plastic cup. I objected, but I went.

7 Comments:

Blogger junior_goddess said...

I've had the privlege of being the pee chaperone before. (Military, you know.) I hope they pay decently....

12:50 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Yeah, it does seem like an invasion of privacy, but I've never thought twice about it, I guess because I'm a former lab geek and pee is something I've dealt with ad nauseum. Can't blame a company for wanting to protect themselves, I guess.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be a nurse in a large factory. Part of my job entailed collecting hair for drug testing. We got quite a few positive tests back. When the word got out about the accuracy of the tests, some employees would come in with their heads shaved! I completely understand about the employer's liability, but I was very uncomfortable in having my own testing done.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Sangeeta said...

you look like a crack head, Cate.

if YARN were CRACK!!!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Jeez...for just answering the phone?
You have to be careful these days...telephones are "heavy equipment"!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Bri McS said...

Completely understand. I always feel like the test will come back positive and I'm a nutcase, nevermind that it's so far from possible. At least there's no test for wine and spirits!!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bri, if there were a test on Monday for weekend alcohol consumption, a lot of us would be in trouble!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home