Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hot off the needles


Can you tell I am loving these socks?


A detail shot without flash to show the stitches and heel flap. A slight modification to the usual -
Row 1: (RS) Sl1, K1, P2, *Sl, K1* Repeat *..* to last 4 sts, P2, K2
Row 2: Sl1, P across

I am a lifelong reader and have managed to train myself to read and knit (if the pattern doesn't require much attention) at the same time. The only way I have found to do this is to sit at a table with my book in front of me. It is a very unsatisfactory way to read in the Winter because it deprives me of one of the pleasures of Whippet ownership. Whippets prefer to sleep as close to another warm body as possible. When I sit on my sofa, Moose and Peach cuddle up next to me or drape themselve over me or find a valley between my legs. Since dogs have a higher body temperature than humans, it is a very cozy way to pass the time. Before I got my nano I tried to listen to books on tape but it meant disturbing the dogs when I got up to change to the next tape. With my nano I can listen for hours without leaving my sofa. I had never read anything by Salman Rushdie and thought it was time to try. Audible has a very unsatisfactory selection of his work but I found one unabridged novel that sounded interesting. Shalimar the Clown is full of love, revenge & politics, set in France (during WW2), Kashmir and Los Angeles. I am not a serious critic and don't demand perfection in the books I read. I am about halfway through the book and am finding it an interesting story with some very good writing. The reader is excellent. I listened and knit until nearly midnight last night and did not fall asleep. High praise indeed.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sangeeta said...

I wish I could figure out how to read and knit...I've just started taking turns. I've stopped knitting for now and am reading Hawaii by Michener. sor far it's....long. I'll be in Wmsbrg next week where I'll visit Knitting Sisters...hope we can catch up when I'm back!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Suzann said...

I really love the stitch pattern. And the socks came out beautiful. How do they fit ? I remember you posted they might be a bit loose.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Les said...

That is such a neat pattern. Cozy looking but kind of fancy! Wondering about your heel flap. Does it have any advantages to the regular type?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I really love the stitch pattern on the sock -- it's hard to tell, but it appears to be moss stitch, maybe? It's a beautiful way to showcase the yarn.

MP3 books just might convince me to buy an iPod! That way I can knit and "read" while traveling via train or plane. My current MP3 player is just too cumbersome to bother with all of that....

12:42 PM  
Blogger jayne said...

Have you read A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. Another good one is The God of Small Things by Arundati Roy.

The socks look great!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

I love sitting with Murphy. Her head will be in my lap, tennis ball in her mouth and belly rising & falling peacefully. What a feeling!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home