Sunday, February 11, 2007

Argh! Tagged Again.



Grace tagged me. I am supposed to list five secrets or things you wouldn't know about me. Some folks know the following but not most of you.

1. In 1960, when I was 14, I went with my parents to a Democratic Party fundraiser. All the candidates for the party's presidential nomination were there. I met John F. Kennedy and got his autograph. I still have it.

2. In 1963 I attended the March on Washington where Martin Luther King gave his I Have a Dream speech. I still have the program.

3. In 1968 I was arrested when leaving an anti Viet Nam war demonstration. Because my father was then Deputy Secretary of Defense for Manpower, my arrest made the front page of the New York Times and I was interviewed on the Walter Cronkite evening news.

4. In 1968 I heard Janis Joplin perform at the Fillmore East in New York.

5. In 1969, unlike many of my friends, I did not attend Woodstock. I went to a family wedding instead.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

cool beans Cate, I never even gave Woodstock I thought I was 15 and my parents would have never even given me a chance to utter the words, my daughters God father went. My mom and dad met the First Mr. bush president I met alot of other authors too but none as infamous as Frank!

6:19 PM  
Blogger sko_G knits said...

wow, sounds like a very exciting life you have led!!!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Sangeeta said...

Awesome.

11:14 AM  
Blogger LisaW. said...

that's so cool Cate! Do you have your front page photo framed! (I would-you counter culture maven you!) Thanks for the info on the Deerhounds :)
Hey my word verification was zkrsfbwl....
suckers bowl?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

You radical, you! I hope you compile all of that stuff into a scrapbook -- it's a great collection, for sure!

3:57 PM  
Blogger junior_goddess said...

WOW! Ok, I'm glad you got meme'd! VERY interesting! How mad was your dad when you got arrested?

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Cate, can I have your autograph? I'd say that post is a real slice of history, but that makes you sound ancient, (not so!) We'd love to see the NY Times picture, though!

9:20 AM  
Blogger CatBookMom said...

Cate, sorry not to have commented when you first posted this; I think it was one of the days I couldn't sign in. I'd have been thrilled beyond measure to have been with you for all of those events.

The best I could do was to be driven from my freshman English class by my classmates for being too liberal and vocal about it. I think it was over an essay saying that the student health clinic should offer birth control pills. The teacher gave me an A for the course for having started meaningful discussions!

Oh, the memories and memorabilia you must have!!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish I could have done some of these things, Cate. To have heard MLK's speech would have been just amazing. I'm afraid I've yet to get my 5 done - tagged by Bets - but I'm scrambling for something that is even INTERESTING. Thanks for sharing these, very neat :).

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home